Matt and I have a five year plan for various renovations, additions, and purchases we want to make for the house. Every month, we’ll be posting what our to-do list is for the upcoming months. As the months go on, we’ll hopefully be crossing things off and adding things on. For now, I’m keeping it simple, but I’m hoping for these monthly posts to get more elaborate as time goes on.
Here are the current goals on our to-do list:
- Get quotes on tree removal for dying tree in backyard
- Repair outside pipe
- Clean and open pool for the summer
- Make repairs as necessary
- Replace older boards in deck
- Add new handrail to stairs going to second floor
- Get headboard for master bedroom bed
- Adjust kitchen layout to accommodate new appliances
- Get quotes on upgrading electric
- Investigate getting new dryer
- Purchase small shed
- Look into getting UPSes for office and for living room
- Get quotes on gas-powered generator installation
- New curtains for living room
- Fix coat hook in kitchen
Not too bad of a list for the next few months. Some of the hold-ups come from style differences (Matt and I have different tastes on railings and headboards) and budgeting (the UPSes, the shed), while others just come down to finding the time and the right people. June isn’t too hectic of a month for us (whereas July will be pretty filled), so we’re hoping to make some good progress over the next few weeks.
After seven months of throwing around ideas and soul-searching, My Broke Ass Life is back. We’ll be taking on a more focused direction, bringing back a few of Jess’s old posts that fit our mission, and adding new content from Jess and our new writer Matt.
What We’re About
The mission of this blog will be to produce content that relates to domestic living within a budget, whether it be for homeowners, apartment renters, or those just finding their way to live independently. It’s a lot to cover, but the writers here have eclectic skills that they’ve been wanting to blog about, and hey, it turns out that it all falls nicely under the “domestic living” label.
What to Expect
We hope to cover a good variety of stuff, such as:
- dealing with mortgages, loans, and banking
- home and yard repair, along with things to look out for to prevent problems
- cohabitation and relationships
- cooking tips and recipes
- budgeting, collaborating on to-do lists, and scheduling
- sites and apps that increase productivity
- time management and keeping yourself motivated over the long haul
We’ll also have a monthly feature where Matt and Jess track their own personal progress in their homeownership to-do list, as well as journal entries (marked as such) that discuss events that relate to the blog’s mission. (Well, it may get a bit off topic once in a while… No promises!)
Interested in Writing?
We’d like to eventually expand the writing staff, or at least host guest posts. Leave a comment if your interested in submitting, and we’ll send you email to discuss further.
Come back after 8am tomorrow for a special announcement regarding this site!
After having it sit idle for seven months now, and looking back at the amount of money I’ve invested in it, I think it’s ready for something… What’s that something? We’ll introduce it to you tomorrow!